Sunday 7 June 2015

Slight Return

Apologies  for the recent inactivity. A combination of ill health, career cul de sacs and general fed uppedness has meant time I should have spent being constructive has instead been spent lying slack jawed on my sofa clad only in my underpants and a filth encrusted t-shirt, the seagulls eyeing me hungrily from their  vantage of a neighbouring rooftop, waiting for hope and then breath to abandon me, so that they can swoop in through my window and feast. It has not escaped my attention that this malaise has coincided, against all mainstream predictions, with the election of a Conservative majority government. It may seem utterly illogical and childishly petulant to blame David Cameron and his disconcertingly hairless face for my own sub par physical and mental well being, but that's what I'm doing.

Preoccupied as I have been with staring at the ceiling and occasionally sighing, I've not been up to whole lot recently. I did manage to drag my mopey arse to the inaugural Wonderlands graphic novel expo last week. The fact that I was stricken with the poorly-ills meant that I couldn't stay long, but I did manage to catch The Guardian's resident cartoonist Steve Bell - who was reassuringly beardy and also is the only other person I've met who holds a pencil the same way as myself - and Dave Gibbons of, among other things, Watchmen fame - who had a few interesting things to say about digital distribution and motion books. Also saw Alice in Sunderland creator Bryan Talbot just hanging around looking very pale and interesting. Fortunately for him I am far too self conscious to approach people so I left him and the other talented individuals present unharrassed. Hopefully, like Sunny Con, this'll become an annual event so I can attend when not in a mental state that sees me weighing up the pros and cons of running into  traffic.

In comparison to the work on display I don't imagine for a second anyone's going to be impressed with my own scribblings, but I've managed to cobble together a few more pages for Rag and Bone. the whole thing in sequence can also be found here, for ease of browsing.



Love and Fishes

Dave Denton

No comments:

Post a Comment