Sunday 22 February 2015

Gin Lane (A Romance)


A Cockernee wifey was slumped in the dirt,
Now and then sipping a tankard.
Her vision was blurry and her speech was slurred
Because she was utterly wankered.
Away up a rooftop, all covered in soot
A dashing young Cockernee fella,
Fancied this wifey, sat there in the muck
And so he serenaded her all a cappela:

"Gin! Gin! Glorious gin!
Makes me feel 'appy compels me to sing.
Good times will follow, when this booze 'ere I swallow
In me own filth I'll wallow, drunk on glorious gin."

This fair pearly queen he aimed to entice
Squinted up at the man on the roof
She mused that this geezer looked somewhat nice
as she swigged down some 50% proof.
She liked her a song just as much as a drink
And so winked at the bloke she'd just met.
on baby deer legs she got to her feet
And lifted her voice in duet.

"Gin! Gin! Marvellous gin!
Makes me feel 'appy compels me to sing.
Good times will follow, when this booze 'ere I swallow
in me own crap I 'll wallow, drunk on glorious gin."
From all over the city drunk Cockneys came
Twirling and dancing in tandem.
Dancing and singing they poured into Gin Lane
From East Hammersmith right down to Camden.
A Cockernee knees up of gargantuan size
they all came down there to rejoice,
These loved up piss artists and the drink that they drank
As they all sang aloud in one voice.


"Gin! Gin! Wonderous gin!
Makes us feel 'appy compels us to sing.
Good times will follow, when this booze 'ere we swallow
in our own crap we'll wallow, drunk on glorious gin."

With apologies to Flanders and Swann and the good people of London Town. I spent far longer on the above than I'm comfortable admitting, but, goddamit, it needed to be written.


Love and Fishes


Dave Denton

No comments:

Post a Comment