Sunday 27 July 2014

Colour Me Badd


In order to break away from my crippling addiction to making terrible cartoons like the above I took part in the Sunderland Color Run last week*. The idea, which I'm sure even the slowest thinking of you has guessed, is that you run around a circuit while overly enthusiastic young people throw coloured dye at your person.


Despite it being, essentially, exercise, it was one of the most enjoyable things I've done in ages. The weather was glorious, the vibe was great and for once I was being encourage to make a mess of myself. In the end something like 6,000 people attended. They ran out of coloured dye towards the end of the course, resulting in the slightly bizarre sight of hundreds of mackems rolling around on the ground in an effort to get good and dirty. Great stuff. My girlfriend, who is normally of the opinion that running is something that should only be done when late for a bus, also had a blast, plus she raised nearly £200 for charidee, which, for those not paying attention, is a good thing. There's a second, neon themed run in the autumn and she's already petitioning me to go. My kid sister, Rosie, also took part. She would tell you that she beat me, which she did, technically, if you gloss over the small fact that it wasn't actually a race and that maybe I might have beaten her if I too was a dirty stinking cheat who has no qualms about elbowing small children and little old ladies out the way, just so I can gloat at my better looking and obviously superior sibling.

There was one slightly surreal moment after the run. We traipsed into the local Burger King followed by multi coloured dust clouds; three day-glo Pig Pens. 'Oh, your doing the colour run thingy,' said the lass behind the counter. She looked me up and down, taking in the mess of purples, pinks, yellows and blues that my skin, hair and clothes had become, looking for all the world like I'd been bukkaked by a squadron of care bears. 'What time does it start?' she asked.

Naturally, after all that healthy running around I have succumbed to a case of the poorly ills. I won't bore you with the details but am currently off work with either:

a) Food poisoning following ingestion of 'found' lasagne.
b) Nurgle's rot
c) Catastrophic ass collapse brought about by a speed fuelled twerkathon
d) A completely uninteresting malady I'm not going to bore you with.

An abundance of free time means that I've managed to fart out another strip thingy. Click to embiggen.



Love and Fishes

Dave Denton

* It's an American trademark, hence 'color'  rather than 'colour'

No comments:

Post a Comment