Sunday 11 May 2014

Brain Leavings




Around two years ago me and a friend found ourselves living in a caravan in rural Queensland along side a racist Irishman, a perma-stoned Frenchman, an alcoholic Brummie and two generally affable Canadians (is there any other kind?). When we were not engaged in donkey work at a nearby banana farm we lived an odd, limbo like existence watching endless repeats of Top Gear, chasing snakes out of the communal living area and decanting cockroaches from the kettle. 

Aware that I would be returning to Blighty in the not too distant future and, as a sort of project to break the monotony, my mate asked if I'd draw him something to stick on a T-shirt. Dutifully I scribbled out around a dozen designs, some rubbish, some slightly less rubbish. Above are two of my efforts from the time, cleaned up and coloured. One an expression of PG rated, pre watershed rebellion, the other a celebration of a time when our fathers were not simply tired old men, slowly fading to grey, but champions! Super heroes! Bad asses! In the event neither of these made the cut. It also transpired that I was expected to transfer the finished image to cloth using fabric pens, a medium I now know I'm not particularly good with and the finished result ended up looking worse than shit. So I apologise for ruining a perfectly good T-shirt. 

But, you know what, I tried, and that's what mattered

Love and fishes

Dave Denton

No comments:

Post a Comment